Saturday, November 04, 2006

Happiness

I hate happiness. It is nothing more than a shadow shield for idiotic giddiness that does not last.

Perhaps I'm being a bit too strong in my wording, but I am exceedingly aggravated with certain person right now who can seem to declare nothing more than "I AM SO HAPPY" while those around said person are struggling in major ways that are, apparently, ununderstandable.

Grrr.

It's not that I don't like being happy. It's not even that I don't like other people being happy. Quite the contrary, I find happiness quite enjoyable, and follow the biblical mandate of "rejoice with those who rejoice" whenever I can. But when happiness is being claimed at the cost of general welfare and Right, I cannot and will not join in the goofy grins and sproingy silliness.

I cut that paragraph short because it doesn't really have to say much more of anything, and it got me thinking on a commonly stated fact: joy and happiness are different things. Rejoice with those who rejoice is more of a direction to share in joy, not happiness. Joy is a fruit of the spirit, and altogether good. It is found in any circumstance, because it's part of faith. Happiness is fleeting. It comes, and then it goes.

It is because of this, and the fact that I am SICK SICK SICK of hearing "I'm so happy" when it is quite apparent that the rest of us are miserable and sick to our stomachs, that I am outlawing happiness.

Thank you, you may return to your previously scheduled existence.

No comments: